Salem County Office On Aging and Disability Services

While I am trying to plan my blog and trying to develop an interactive format (which requires input from readers), I thought I would start by providing information about the Salem County Office On Aging and Disability Services. My focus is the Disability Services portion of the office. Here are some helpful information that can also be found on their website 

Address: 110 5th St #900, Salem, NJ 08079

Phone(856) 339-8622 

Contact Rebecca Gower Ferguson

Transportation LineTransportation Line: (856) 339-8644

Our Services: The Office of Disability Services serves an advocacy role to provide the public with information and service referrals. The Office of Disability Services maintains a confidential mailing list to contact those who might benefit from our services. If you know of someone (including yourself) who might benefit from our services, please help us by providing your name, address and phone number: 856-935-7510, Ext. 8449

Some of the services offered are:

PASP: Personal Assistance Program
Consultant :
Victoria Yuhasz 856-339-8622 or 856-451-1207 ext. 8622.

The Personal Assistance Services Program (PASP) is a self-directed program that provides routine, non-medical assistance to adults with disabilities who are attending school, employed or involved in community volunteer work. Personal assistants help with tasks such as meal preparation, light housekeeping, bathing, dressing, shopping, and driving or using public transportation.  The total number of hours a person can receive is based on the individual, up to a maximum of 40 hours per week.

To be eligible, you must reside in NJ, have a permanent physical disability, be between 18 and 70 years old, be capable of directing your own services and be employed, volunteering or in school.  For more information call Salem County ADRC at (856) 339-8622.

 Special Needs Registry:
The Registry is used by first responders (Police, Fire, Sheriff Officers, Emergency Medical Services, Health Department Personnel, and if necessary, the Army National Guard) to assist in relocating our residents prior to an emergency situation. The Special Needs Registry is free, strictly confidential, and completely voluntary.

You are eligible if you have no place to go during an emergency and have a disability covered under the Americans With Disabilities Act or require additional assistance due to the following conditions:

  • History of stroke
  • Hearing, vision, or speech impaired
  • Frail elderly
  • Walking limitation
  • Severe breathing problem
  • Wheelchair, cane, or walker user
  • Heart problem
  • Mentally challenged

For more information or to get signed up, call our office at (856)-339-8622.

Project Lifesaver:
Project Lifesaver works in conjunction with the Salem County Sheriff’s Office to protect wandering patients and give peace of mind to caregivers, families and communities.  It’s an innovative rapid response program aiding victims and families suffering from Alzheimer’s disease and related disorders such as Down syndrome and Autism. It forms partnerships with local law enforcement and public safety organizations to deploy specially trained teams with the most reliable technology available to quickly locate and return wandering adults and children to their families and caregivers.

Guidance is provided on issues such as:

  • Employment
  • Education
  • Transportation
  • Housing

 Loan Closet:

We have gently used items for loan.  Items include walkers, wheelchairs, and canes etc.  Please call (856) 339-8622

Advisory Board Meetings: 6 times a year during: January, March, May , July Sept, and November. Our mission is to empower people with disabilities to become self-advocates and to live independently in the community.

Disability Awareness Day is scheduled for October 11, 2018. Although this is an annual program, there is a change of location from the Riverview Restaurant in Pennsville to the Centerton Country Club in Pittsgrove. Please call the Disability Services Office at (856) 339-8622 to register and get more information. 


Published by


I have a BA in Psychology and a teaching certificate as a Special Education teacher. I have a MA in Student Personnel Services and I recently retired from my position as a Guidance Counselor. I have been active on advisory boards concerning disability issues for over 25 years. I also have over 25 years of business experience in Human Resources and Operations Management.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s